Massive Coal Mine Explosion In China Kills At Least 90, Rescue Operations Continue
A major gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China has killed at least 90 people, according to reports released by Chinese state media on Saturday.

AI-generated summary, reviewed by editors
The tragic incident took place at the Liushenyu coal mine in Changzhi city, located in Shanxi Province, one of China's largest coal-producing regions.
Rescue teams are still searching for workers believed to be trapped underground as authorities investigate the cause of the deadly explosion.
Explosion Occurred During Mining Operations
According to the state-run Xinhua news agency, the gas explosion happened on Friday evening while hundreds of miners were working inside the coal mine.
Reports said around 247 workers were on duty at the time of the accident.
Initial reports earlier on Saturday had confirmed eight deaths and dozens trapped underground. However, the number of casualties later increased sharply as rescue operations continued.
As of Saturday afternoon, officials said several workers were still missing beneath the mine.
Rescue Teams Continue Search Efforts
Emergency rescue operations have been continuing since the explosion occurred.
State media reported that many injured workers suffered from exposure to toxic gases released during the blast.
Medical teams and rescue personnel were rushed to the site as authorities attempted to locate trapped miners and bring survivors to safety.
The exact condition of several injured workers has not yet been officially disclosed.
Chinese President Xi Jinping Responds
Xi Jinping has reportedly ordered an all-out rescue operation following the disaster.
According to Xinhua, the Chinese President also called for a detailed investigation into the cause of the explosion and demanded accountability for those responsible.
Chinese authorities have often faced criticism in the past over industrial safety standards and mining accidents, especially in coal-rich regions.
Shanxi Known As China's Coal Mining Hub
Shanxi province is considered the heart of China's coal industry.
The province produces a massive share of the country's coal and employs hundreds of thousands of miners.
Official data shows that miners in Shanxi extracted nearly 1.3 billion tons of coal last year, accounting for almost one-third of China's total coal production.
Because of its heavy mining activity, the province has witnessed multiple industrial accidents over the years despite repeated safety reforms.
Questions Over Mine Safety
The latest disaster has once again raised concerns about safety conditions in China's mining sector.
Coal mines are considered among the most dangerous workplaces due to risks such as gas explosions, tunnel collapses and toxic leaks.
Although Chinese authorities have introduced stricter regulations in recent years, fatal mining accidents still continue to occur periodically in some regions.
Investigators are now expected to examine whether safety violations, equipment failure or poor ventilation contributed to the explosion.
Nation Mourns Deadly Tragedy
The incident has shocked many people across China, with social media users expressing grief over the deaths of miners working under dangerous conditions.
As rescue efforts continue, families of trapped workers are anxiously waiting for updates from authorities. The coal mine explosion is now being counted among the deadliest industrial disasters reported in China in recent years.












Click it and Unblock the Notifications