For Quick Alerts
For Daily Alerts
Who is the Indian origin ‘New Jihadi John’ alias Siddharth Dhar a.k.a Abu Rumaysah
Indian origin Siddharth Dhar is the new Jihadi John, US puts him on global terrorist list
The United States of America placed Indian origin Islamic State terrorist from Britain Siddharth Dhar on its global terrorist list. Dhar who converted to Islam is known as the New Jihadi John.
Here is all you should know about him.
- Dhar converted to Islam following which he took the name Abu Rumaysah.
- Prior to joining the ISIS, he was part of a British terror outfit known as al- Muhajiroun.
- While out on bail in 2014, he skipped it and travelled to Syria with his wife and children.
- He quickly rose through the ranks and became the executioner after Mohammad Emwazi was killed in an airstrike in 2015. This earned him the name, New Jihadi John.
- The US state department said that it was Dhar who was the masked man who executed several prisoners in January 2016. These prisoners were executed on the suspicion that they worked for the UK as spies.
- Nihad Barakat, a Yazidi teenager held as a sex slave by ISIS, was quoted as saying by the Independent in May 2016 that she was kidnapped and trafficked by Dhar, who was based in Mosul, the group's former stronghold in Iraq.
- The US State Department on Tuesday placed Siddhartha Dhar, along with Belgian-Moroccan citizen Abdelatif Gaini, on the list of Specially Designated Global Terrorists and imposed sanctions on them.