CBI to take a final call on Maran case in 20 days

Posted By:
Subscribe to Oneindia News
Dayanidhi Maran
New Delhi, June 8: The Central Bureau of Investigation on Tuesday, June 8 would take a final call on Maran case in about 20 days to confirm whether a case has been made out against Union Textiles Minister Dayanidhi Maran who held the Telecom portfolio from May 2004 to May 2007.

The CBI sources said that Mr. Sivasankaran, who is involved with the ongoing probe into the 2G spectrum allocation during 2001-2007, had already submitted a list of witnesses and documents to the CBI to support his allegations which is related to the period of Maran's Union Telecom Ministry.

The CBI would have to take permission from the Central government under Section 6 (A) of the Delhi Special Police Establishment (DSPE) Act before the start of an investigation against Maran as he holds the key post of a Union Minister.

In accordance to the directions of the Supreme Court, the CBI had registered a Preliminary Enquiry in January for the 2001-2007 period to ascertain whether there were any violations of the telecom policy or ulterior motives involved in granting licences during that period.

Former Aircel owner Sivasankaran would be made a key witness in the enquiry over his statement on Maran. Maxis Communications Berhad, a leading Malaysian telecom company, acquired a 74 per cent stake in Aircel on March 21, 2006. Sindya Securities and Investments Private Ltd. holds the remaining 26 per cent equity. Sivasankaran of Aircel alleged that he was forced by the then Telecom Minister Mr. Maran to sell his stake to Maxis.

In Justice Shivraj V. Patil Committee report, that had been submitted to the Telecom Ministry earlier this year, 2011, it found fault with the functioning of Mr. Maran during his tenure as Communications and IT Minister between May 2004 and May 2007.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...