Sealdah attack: Bhattacharjee admits lapse in alertness of forces
Kolkata, Feb 18 (ANI): West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee has accepted that there was a definite lack of alertness on the part of the security forces that led to Monday's Maoist strike at an Eastern Frontier Rifles (EFR) security camp at Sealdah in West Midnapore district in which at least 24 security personnel were killed.
Bhattacharjee said, "There was breach in preparedness and lack of alertness," adding that an inquiry has been ordered to find out how the Maoists could carry out such an audacious attack on the Sealdah camp housing the Eastern Frontier Rifles (EFR) security personnel.
Bhattacharjee, who also holds the portfolio of the state police department said, "I decided to order an inquiry. We want to know the whole truth," including possible intelligence failure.
"It was carried out by Maoist squads not only from our state but also from neighbouring states," he added saying the attack was a heinous one.
When asked from which state the Maoist squad came, he said that it was being investigated.Most of the firearms and ammunition at the camp had been looted by the Maoists after killing the EFR jawans and setting the camp on fire," he added.
The West Bengal government has admitted a lapse in security and ordered an inquiry into the police role in the turn of events that led to Monday's Maoist strike.
The inquiry is being conducted by the Criminal Investigation Department and a report on the entire incident has been sent to the Centre. (ANI)