Singapore, known as Switzerland of Southeast Asia, a politically neutral small state has been chosen as the host city for the first-ever meeting of a sitting US president and the leader of North Korea. US President Donald Trump and North Korea leader Kim Jong-Un will meet Tuesday morning at 9 AM (01:00 GMT).
Know the latest updates about Trump-Kim Singapore summit:
- Luxury hotel designed by British architect on 'pirates' island' named as the venue for Trump-Kim talks.
- The White House revealed that the Capella hotel on Sentosa, an island located a quarter of a mile off the coast of Singapore, would play host to the event. The hotel was designed by British architect Sir Norman Foster.
- Trump and Kim will have a one-on-one meeting which will only include translators, a bilateral meeting and a working lunch.
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Chief of Staff John Kelly and National Security Adviser John Bolton will be present at the bilateral meeting.
- Press Secretary Sarah Sanders, Ambassador Sung Kim and National Security Council Senior Director for Asia Matt Pottinger will join the lunch.
- Singapore Police in support of DPRK-USA Spore Summit will close roads along the vicinity of Orchard Road towards Anderson Road within the hour. Motorists can expect delays. Motorists encouraged to plan journeys early and follow directional signs and instructions from the Police.
- Hosting the summit will reportedly cost 20 million Singapore dollars ($15m), half of which would go to enhancing security.
- Some 3,000 journalists are expected to visit Singapore. Hotel rooms are at near capacity and taxi drivers are bracing for excessive demand and traffic gridlock.
- Heavily armed Gurkha soldiers - a special Singapore police guard force of Nepalese troops dating back to the British colonial period - are a common sight surrounding the five-star Shangri-La Hotel - Trump's rumoured hotel.
- A popular bar is serving up a blue, bourbon-based cocktail named the "Trump" and a red "Kim" drink containing the Korean spirit soju.