• search
For Quick Alerts
ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS  
For Daily Alerts

    US hits 50,000 refugee cap; refugees with "bona fide relationship" to be allowed

    By Pti
    |

    Washington, Jul 13: Additional refugees entering the United States in the next few months will not be stopped, but they will now face tighter standards, as the US has reached the Trump administration's limit of 50,000 refugees for this budget year.

    A Supreme Court order last month said the administration must admit refugees beyond the 50,000 cap if they can prove a "bona fide relationship" with a person or entity in the United States.

    US hits 50,000 refugee cap; refugees with "bona fide relationship" to be allowed

    That was part of a broader ruling that allowed President Donald Trump to partially administer his contested travel ban affecting six Muslim majority countries. As of yesterday, 50,086 refugees have been admitted since the budget year began last October.

    All those refugees have to undergo a strict screening process. Additional refugees will face the same screening, but will also need to prove they have a close relative living in the United States, a job awaiting them, or admission to a college or university.

    The State Department, which oversees the refugee program, said yesterday that it had advised resettlement agencies that the cap was reached, though anyone travelling to the US would still be admitted. The additional requirements are supposed to be in place for 120 days, while the government examines security and screening procedures that Trump suggested aren't stringent enough.

    But a new cap will take effect before then, when the new budget year begins in October, and everything is subject to change after the Supreme Court hears arguments on the travel and refugee bans that month. It's unclear what the new cap will be. Trump set the refugee limit as part of the broader executive order that sought to keep out foreigners from Iran, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Libya and Yemen.

    The first iteration of the order in January caused panic and confusion at airports in the US and abroad as foreigners were either denied boarding for US-bound flights or stopped at a US airport and sent back overseas. A federal court blocked that order, and Trump issued a second order that sought to overcome the legal challenges.

    The Supreme Court opinion lets the government partially enforce the order against anyone without a bona fide relationship. Kay Bellor, vice president for programs at the Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service, said yesterday that her group and other aid agencies still expect to welcome some refugees in the coming months.

    Bellor said roughly 26,000 refugees have already been vetted, interviewed and approved for relocation to the United States and an untold number of those people will be able to prove a valid relationship. Lee Williams, vice president of the US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants, said some refugees his agency is helping have strong relationships with people in the United States, but they are in limbo while the government examines their cases.

    Williams said that it is a sad day for the US. The travel ban destroys families and it does nothing to add security to the immigration process.

    PTI

    For Daily Alerts

    For Breaking News from Oneindia
    Get instant news updates throughout the day.

    Notification Settings X
    Time Settings
    Done
    Clear Notification X
    Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
    Settings X
    X
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Oneindia sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Oneindia website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more