Elephant dies of electrocution near Coimbatore

Posted By: Staff
Subscribe to Oneindia News

Coimbatore, July 10 (ANI): An elephant that trespassed onto agricultural lands, was found dead at a village near Narasipuram in Coimbatore on Thursday.

According to villagers, the elephant was aged around 40 years and might have hit a high-tension (HT) electricity pole or come into contact with the wire.

The Narasipuram Forest Range office has been informed of the incident.

Forest warden Doraiswamy said the pachyderm was a victim of electrocution.

"We received a message that a male tusker had been found dead near the Poondi South beat area. On hearing the news, we went to the spot and found the tusker had died. This has been conveyed to the higher officials. Now, a veterinary doctor will examine and ascertain the cause of the death," said Doraiswamy.

Farmers of the area, however, called on the authorities to dig trenches and also fence the foothills to prevent elephants from entering.

"The best and only way to permanently keep these elephants at bay is to dig bunkers near the foothills and erect solar powered fencing," said Palaniswamy, a farmer.

Experts claim that massive deforestation, poaching and people encroaching upon forest corridors have forced elephants to move out in search of food and water. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...