J&K separatist funding: Supreme Court rejects plea, says not our domain
New Delhi, Sept 14: The Supreme Court on Wednesday rejected a petition that sought a directive to stop security and funding to the separatists of Jammu and Kashmir. It may be recalled that last week when this petition was filed, the Bench had said, "We feel the same and everyone sitting here feels the same."
However, on Wednesday when the matter came up before the Bench, it rejected the petition while observing that such matters are under the domain of the Centre. On Wednesday, the matter was heard by a bench comprising Justices Dipak Misra and U U Lalit.
Advocate M L Sharma in his petition sought a direction to the government to stop funding for the separatists in the Valley. He has alleged that nearly Rs 100 crore is being spent by the government to provide security and other perks.
He sought a directive for the funding to stop immediately.The Bench observed that this is a matter that pertains to security of the country and it is the union government which has the sole responsibility on this issue.
The judiciary cannot examine what funds are given to whom and when it comes to situations such as these especially in sensitive states, it is the Centre which has the jurisdiction, the Bench also observed.
Further Justices Mishra and Lalit said that security issues cannot be handled through judicial proceedings. Courts must desist from entertaining such issues, the Bench also observed.
Further the Bench told the petitioner in Jammu and Kashmir the army and the Centre is there to provide security. What cover is given to an individual or what the threat perception is will be completely under the jurisdiction of the executive.
The Bench also sought to know from the petitioner why he was using the word separatist? Does the government refer to them as separatists, the Bench also sought to know.