Watch: Journalists Rush To Shelter During Shooting Outside White House
Panic unfolded outside the White House after a gunman opened fire near a security checkpoint, forcing journalists and visitors to duck for cover as Secret Service agents responded with gunfire. The dramatic incident happened while several television reporters were broadcasting live or recording segments from the White House grounds.

AI-generated summary, reviewed by editors
The suspect was later shot dead by Secret Service personnel during the exchange, while a bystander was also injured in the chaos.
Reporters Caught In The Middle Of Chaos
ABC News correspondent Selina Wang was among the journalists present when the shooting began. A video from the scene captured her visibly stunned for a few moments before quickly taking cover as gunshots echoed across the White House complex.
"It sounded like dozens of gunshots," she wrote later on X.
I was in the middle of taping on my iPhone for a social video from the White House North Lawn when we heard the shots. It sounded like dozens of gunshots. We were told to sprint to the press briefing room where we are holding now. pic.twitter.com/iqdQwh4soq
— Selina Wang (@selinawangtv) May 23, 2026
Other journalists also found themselves caught in the confusion. NBC News reporter Julie Tsirkin could be heard asking, "What is that?" as the sounds of firing interrupted reporting activity on the North Lawn. Another journalist, who had been speaking on camera moments earlier, immediately removed his microphone equipment and ran for safety.
According to witnesses, reporters and media crews stationed on the White House lawn were instructed to evacuate the area and shelter inside the press briefing room as security teams secured the premises.
Gunman Opened Fire Near Security Checkpoint
The shooting took place around 6 pm local time on Saturday when the armed suspect reportedly approached a White House security checkpoint and pulled out a firearm from a bag before opening fire.
New footage of the shooting near the White House pic.twitter.com/aTDtFD2onU
— Faytuks Network (@FaytuksNetwork) May 23, 2026
US Secret Service agents returned fire and fatally shot the attacker during the confrontation. Authorities confirmed that one bystander was also struck during the exchange.
President Donald Trump was inside the White House when the incident occurred, but officials stated he was not harmed.
Secret Service communications chief Anthony Guglielmi said in a statement that the president was not impacted by the violence.
Canadian tourist Reid Adrian, who was near the area during the incident, described the frightening moments to AFP.
"We heard probably 20 to 25 what sounded like fireworks, but they're gunshots, and then everyone started running," he said.
NBC News Capitol Hill Correspondent Julie Tsirkin was preparing to report from the White House when multiple shots could be heard being fired nearby. pic.twitter.com/d8POlm5QUF
— NBC10 Boston (@NBC10Boston) May 23, 2026
Incident Adds To Growing Security Concerns Around Trump
The latest shooting comes amid heightened security concerns surrounding Trump following multiple alleged assassination attempts over the past year.
In April, during the annual White House Correspondents' Dinner in Washington, an armed man reportedly breached a security checkpoint at the hotel venue where Trump was attending the gala. Secret Service officers intercepted the suspect and took him into custody before any harm was caused.
Earlier, in July 2024, Trump survived an assassination attempt during a campaign rally in Butler. During that attack, a gunman killed one audience member and injured Trump in the ear before being neutralised.
Months later, another armed suspect was arrested near a golf course in West Palm Beach where Trump had been playing.
White House Expansion Plans Linked To Security Push
Trump has repeatedly referred to the threats against him while advocating for major security upgrades at the White House complex.
One of the most ambitious proposals currently underway is a reported $400 million ballroom project that involves major structural expansion near the East Wing. According to Trump, the facility will include a heavily secured, "drone-proof" ballroom along with six underground floors and even an underground military hospital.












Click it and Unblock the Notifications