Get Updates
Get notified of breaking news, exclusive insights, and must-see stories!

Explained: Why WHO Has Issued Global Ebola Emergency Alert For Congo And Uganda

The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the latest Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern, raising fears of wider regional spread in Central and East Africa. While the global health body clarified that the situation does not yet qualify as a pandemic emergency, officials warned that neighbouring countries sharing borders with the DRC remain at high risk.

Ebola Outbreak in Congo and Uganda
AI Summary

AI-generated summary, reviewed by editors

The World Health Organization declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern, citing 8 confirmed cases of the Bundibugyo strain and fears of regional spread due to the lack of approved treatments.

The outbreak involves the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, a less common variant for which there are currently no approved vaccines or targeted treatments. Health authorities are now intensifying surveillance and cross-border monitoring as confirmed infections emerge in both the DRC and Uganda.

What Is Ebola And Why Is It Dangerous?

Ebola is a severe viral disease that often proves fatal if not detected and treated quickly. According to the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, the disease spreads through direct contact with bodily fluids of infected individuals, contaminated objects, or people who have died from the infection.

Symptoms commonly include fever, severe body aches, vomiting and diarrhoea, though complications can rapidly worsen into organ failure and internal bleeding in serious cases.

The Democratic Republic of Congo has faced repeated Ebola crises over the decades. This is the country's 17th outbreak since the virus was first identified in 1976, underlining how the region remains vulnerable due to dense forests, mobility across borders and fragile healthcare systems in conflict-hit areas.

Why The Bundibugyo Strain Is Causing Concern

Health experts say the current outbreak is especially worrying because it involves the Bundibugyo strain, a rarer form of Ebola that lacks proven vaccines and strain-specific treatments.

The WHO noted that there have only been two previous outbreaks linked to this strain. Unlike the Ebola-Zaire strain, which has seen successful vaccine use in past outbreaks, Bundibugyo has far fewer medical countermeasures available.

"Unfortunately, Bundibugyo has fewer proven countermeasures than Zaire ebolavirus, where vaccines have been highly effective in controlling outbreaks," said Amanda Rojek, Associate Professor of Health Emergencies, Pandemic Sciences Institute at the University of Oxford, in a statement.

The absence of approved therapeutics has increased fears that containment could become more difficult if infections continue spreading across borders.

Which Countries Have Reported Cases?

So far, confirmed cases have been reported in both the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda, with the outbreak hitting the DRC the hardest.

A fresh case was also confirmed in Goma, a strategically important eastern DRC city currently controlled by M23 rebels. The confirmation came through a statement issued by the rebel group on Sunday.

Ugandan officials separately confirmed a second case in the country on the same day, adding to concerns about regional transmission.

The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention said it is now coordinating with South Sudan to strengthen cross-border monitoring and prevent further international spread.

The WHO has repeatedly warned that neighbouring countries remain vulnerable because of frequent population movement and porous land borders in the region.

How Many People Have Been Affected?

According to the WHO's latest figures, there are currently eight lab-confirmed Ebola cases linked to the outbreak. However, the suspected toll is much larger.

Officials reported 80 suspected deaths and 246 suspected infections, though investigations are still ongoing to verify exact numbers.

The WHO also cautioned that the real scale of the outbreak may be significantly higher than current data suggests.

"There are significant uncertainties to the true number of infected persons and geographic spread associated with this event at the present time," the organisation warned.

That uncertainty is one of the key reasons global health agencies are treating the situation with urgency, even though the outbreak has not yet been classified as a pandemic-level emergency.

Notifications
Settings
Clear Notifications
Notifications
Use the toggle to switch on notifications
  • Block for 8 hours
  • Block for 12 hours
  • Block for 24 hours
  • Don't block
Gender
Select your Gender
  • Male
  • Female
  • Others
Age
Select your Age Range
  • Under 18
  • 18 to 25
  • 26 to 35
  • 36 to 45
  • 45 to 55
  • 55+