Mandsaur gangrape: Police remand of one of the accused extended by 3 days
Indore, July 2: A local court on Monday extended the police remand of Irfan, one of the accused in the brutal gangrape of an eight-year-old girl in Mandsaur, by three days. Irfan was arrested on 27 June and was in police custody till 2 July while, the other accused, Asif, who was arrested on 29 June, would be in police remand till 5 July.
The victim was raped on June 26 after having been abducted from outside her school by two men. She had suffered grievous injuries to her neck, face, head and private parts and was admitted to the Maharaja Yeshwantrao (MY) hospital here on June 27.
The rape of the eight-year-old girl triggered spontaneous protests in Madhya Pradesh and some parts of the country, after which a special investigation team (SIT) was formed to speed up the probe. City superintendent of police Rakesh Mohan Shukla, who will head the SIT, said on Sunday that 70 percent of the investigation had been completed in the case.
The DNA samples of both the accused, identified as Irfan (20) and Asif (24) - arrested on charges of abducting and raping the minor -were sent for examination on Saturday. The police are now waiting for the survivor to recover in order to record her statement while her mother's statement had already been recorded, Superintendent of Police (SP) Manoj Kumar Singh told PTI.
The victim's father on Sunday told reporters at the hospital that his family wants death sentence for the accused.
"Our family doesn't want compensation from the government. We want the legal process in this case to be completed at the earliest and convicts be awarded death sentence as soon as possible," the distraught man said.
Asked about the state government's decision to extend a financial assistance worth Rs 10 lakh to his family, he said, "Money is not an issue. We only want justice."
He also said he was satisfied with the treatment being provided to his daughter by doctors at MY Hospital.