The Income Tax department has found incriminating material during its raids on the Jaya TV office and other places that were conducted on Thursday.
Incriminating documents relating to shell companies were found during the raids. The officials are now scrutinising the documents and will soon question those involved.
The raids were conducted at 187 places under 'Operation Clean Money,' by a team of 1,800 IT officials. Sources in the IT department say that there were complaints about shell companies, dubious investments, fund flow and fudging of accounts by Jaya TV, started by former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and currently controlled by the family of Sasikala.
The raids went off peacefully and IT officials say that the Tamil Nadu government was extremely helpful. The IT officials raided almost all aides of Jayalalithaa including her personal secretary Poongundran and physician Dr Shivakumar.
The prominent places to be raided were:
- Jaya TV at Ekkatthuthangal in Chennai
- The residence of AIADMK leader T T V Dhinakaran at Mannai Nagar in Mannargudi.
- Sasikala's brother Dhivakaran's residence at Sundara Kottai
- Residence of Vivek Jayaraman in Chennai
- Jazz Cinemas owned by Sasikala's family members.
- Residence of Pugazhendi, Karnataka AIADMK secretary
- Office of Dr Namadhu MGR
- Hill retreat of Jayalalithaa, Kodanad estate
- Sasikala's elder brother Sundaravadanam's residence in Gandhi Nagar in Pudukkottai
- Sasikala's husband M Natarajan's Thanjavur residence