After his short visit to Valmiki Basti, Modi reached the venue where he officially launched Swachh Bharat campaign. Union Minister Venkaiah Naidu, Nitin Gadkari and Bollywood actor Aamir Khan shared dais with Modi.
Here are the highlights of Modi's speech:
- Today is the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi ji and Lal Bahadur Shastri ji.
- We gained freedom under leadership of Gandhi ji but his dream of clean India is still unfulfilled.
- Swachh Bharat Campaign logo is not just a logo, through it Gandhi ji is watching us, asking as when will we clean India.
- Be it Mandir, Masjid, Gurudwara or any place, we must take efforts to clean our surroundings, we must change.
- If Indian's can reach Mars at a cheap cost can we not clean our neighbourhoods?
- I know people will criticize me in the next few days, if it leads to a clean India, then prepared for it.
- I also thank the media for supporting this campaign, we all need to come together for it.
- This campaign is above politics, this is purely due to our love for the nation.
- This campaign is for 1.2 billion people, I will say this 1.2 billion times. Govt and ministers can't do it alone.
- Have started a Social Media campaign, I have invited 9 people to post pics of them cleaning, who will invite a further 9 people and so on.
- Is cleaning only responsibility of the Karamcharis? Do citizens have no role in this? We have to change this mindset.
- I have invited Baba Ramdev, Salman Khan, Shashi Tharoor, Priyanka Chopra, Bharat Ratna Sachin Tendulkar, Kamal Hassan.
- The enthusiasm I am seeing on my social media pages for this campaign is heartening.
- I have also invited Anil Ambani, the entire cast of Tarak Mehta ka Ooltah Chashmah and also Goa Governor Mridula Sinha.
- Constructing more toilets is extremely important, feel pained when our women go in the open to relieve themselves.