Batla House encounter: IM fired first shot says ballistic report

Posted By:
Subscribe to Oneindia News

New Delhi, May 26: Digvijaya Singh of the Congress finds himself standing alone on the issue relating to the Batla House Encounter.

His own party men have distanced themselves from his remarks that went on to suggest that the encounter was a fake one and needed to be re-probed.

Baltla encounter: 'IM fired first shot'

It is quite obvious for the Congress to distance themselves from Singh's remark since it was an encounter that took place when the UPA was in power.

The issue has been beaten to death for many years now and has also been a rallying point for some politicians to dish up the minority votes.

To ascertain whether this encounter was fake or genuine, one must closely look at the ballistic report which clearly indicates that the Indian Mujahideen operatives fired at the police first.

Read more: How Batla House encounter became a recruiting tool for the Indian Mujahideen

Batla House encounter officially known as Operation Batla House, took place on 19 September 2008, against Indian Mujahideen (IM) terrorists in Batla House locality in Jamia Nagar, Delhi, in which two suspected terrorists, Atif Amin and Mohamed Sajid were killed.

Two were arrested and one escaped. However the more important here is that India lost one of its best officers Inspector M C Sharma.

IM fired first:

The case relating to this encounter was decided largely on the basis of circumstantial evidence.

However what was most relied upon was a very crucial ballistic report. A reading of the ballistic report would clearly show that the first bullet came from the terrorists.

The report stated that the bullets were fired on Inspector M C Sharma first by the terrorists holed up in the Batla House.

This was followed by retaliatory fire, the report also shows. What this ballistic report does is effectively negate the narrative that the police had fired first at the IM operative Atif Ameen and Mohammad Sajid.

Those questioning the encounter had put up a spirited argument that the bullets found on Sharma did not match with the weapon that the police had recovered from the accused.

However the Delhi police were able to prove that one of the accused Shehzad destroyed evidence and obstructed police officials before fleeing from the spot.

The Delhi police against whom a case was filed in the National Human Rights Commission got relief when they were given a clean chit.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...