• search
For Quick Alerts
ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS  
For Daily Alerts

    Anti-Islam YouTube movie clip: Google says no to Obama, US

    By Nairita
    |
    Google
    San Francisco, Sep 15: US President Barack Obama and his aides in the White House must be very upset as the search engine giant Google refused to accept their proposal of removing the controversial anti-Islam movie which irked deadly violence in many countries especially in Libya and Egypt.

    White House officials earlier had asked Google to reconsider whether the video had violated YouTube's terms of service. Reacting against US' proposal, Google on Saturday, Sep 15 said, "We've restricted access to it in countries where it is illegal such as India and Indonesia, as well as in Libya and Egypt, given the very sensitive situations in these two countries," and also added, "This approach is entirely consistent with principles we first laid out in 2007."

    The movie criticised Prophet Muhammed calling him "fraud" and "philanderer". Movie clips on YouTube ignited anti-Americans protest followed by a deadly violence in Middle-East countries. The protest against the movie and the Americans became fatal when US Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens along with many others was killed in an attack.

    Tommy Vietor, the spokesperson of the National Security Council earlier on Friday said, "We reached out to YouTube to call the video to their attention and asked them to review whether it violates their terms of use."

    Pakistan has already blocked the movie. The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority blocked pages on YouTube and other video sharing websites that had a clip from the controversial movie.

    A massive protest was observed in Chennai, Tamil Nadu when around 300 protesters belonging to the Tamil Nadu Muslim Munnetra Kazhagam (TMMK) tried to picket the US consulate in the city but their plans were foiled by police.

    Clarifying US' stand on the entire controversy, Secretary of the State, Hillary Clinton said, "Let me state very clearly -- and I hope it is obvious -- that the United States government had absolutely nothing to do with this video. We absolutely reject its content and message."

    The director of the movie - Sam Bacile has been absconding soon after the ruckus over his film broke out on Sep 11. 56-year-old Bacile, the writer and director, claims that he is an Israeli Jew and he believes that his film will enlighten his people about the drawbacks of Islam. His excerpts, after dubbing into Arabic, have been posted on YouTube.

    While speaking from an unidentified location, Bacile on Tuesday remained defiant about what he showed in his movie. Demanding to make his film a political statement, Bucile asserted, "Islam is a cancer."

    One of the controversial statements from Bacile's movie claims that Muhammad was a philanderer who approved of child sexual abuse.

    OneIndia News

    For Daily Alerts

    For Breaking News from Oneindia
    Get instant news updates throughout the day.

    Notification Settings X
    Time Settings
    Done
    Clear Notification X
    Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
    Settings X
    X
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Oneindia sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Oneindia website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more