• search
For Quick Alerts
For Daily Alerts

Indian-origin Kiwi resident stuffs toddler in washer after double murder

By Nairita Das

Tauranga (North Island, New Zealand), Nov.25 (ANI): An Indian-origin New Zealand man has admitted stabbing a two-year-old toddler 10 times, stuffing her body in a washing machine and turning the machine on, only minutes after killing her mother.

Deepak Nagpal was boarding with Dev and Ravneet Sangha at the family home in Tauranga when he murdered Ravneet and her two-year old daughter Anna after a fight about money, a court was told.

Ravneet complained about Nagpal to friends on June 4 via a text message, saying she had asked him to leave the house over money issues, the New Zealand Tribune reports.

Moments later Nagpal stabbed Ravneet more than 100 times using different knives that he found in the kitchen.

Crown prosecutor Rob Ronayne said the "determined, frenzied, violent and sustained attack" left serrations in Ravneet's skull.

The court heard that Anna tried to run away from Nagpal, making bloody footprints throughout the house, but he grabbed her, took her to the laundry and stabbed her.

Nagpal put Anna's body in the washing machine along with one of her booties, her dummy and a cell phone. Nagpal then turned the machine on and cleaned himself up.

He changed his clothes and took jewellery and bank cards belonging to the Sangha family and went on a spending spree.

Nagpal made several cash withdrawals and purchases around Tauranga including a 1049-dollar cell phone, a 3000-dollar transfer to a relative's bank account in India and a 1100 dollar one-way flight to Delhi.

He later travelled with a friend to Auckland where he made more cash withdrawals.

The slightly built 23-year-old Nagpal, a kiwi fruit worker, appeared yesterday in the Tauranga District Court where he pleaded guilty before a packed gallery to the double murder of Ravneet Sangha, 32 and her daughter Anna.

Nagpal, who showed little emotion while the grisly summary of facts was being read out, will appear in the High Court at Rotorua for sentencing on February 18.

"Nothing can change my life," Dev Sangha said as he walked away from the court. (ANI)

For Daily Alerts
Get Instant News Updates
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Oneindia sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Oneindia website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more