'Secret' operation launched to curb Karachi target killings: Rehman Malik
Karachi, Oct 23 (ANI): A secret operation has been launched to counter the incidents of target killings in Karachi, Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik has said.
"We shall restore peace in Karachi and other parts of the country including Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and northern areas. Strict action will be taken against those challenging the writ of the state," The Nation quoted Malik, as saying, while addressing a joint press conference with Sindh Home Minister Dr Zulfiqar Mirza.
The government would not talk with militants, he said, adding that the backbone of terrorists had been broken as a result of the successful operation in the northwestern parts of the country.
Malik said that during the last two days, the incidents of target killing had stopped due to the government's swift action against the criminals.
He said that the government had chalked out its strategy during the meeting with all the political parties in Karachi, and added that though terrorists had no affiliation with any political party, they used and took shelter in different parties.
Karachi was besieged by different Mafias, and a lot of new Mafias were being introduced, including the land mafia, bhatta mafia and the drug mafia, the minister noted.
Malik also said that the government had taken stringent action against those who challenged its writ, and violated the law and order situation in Karachi.
The incidents of target killings began after ANP Sindh President Shahi Syed declared on October 16 that his party was boycotting the by-polls in Orangi Town. (ANI)