103 hospitalised due to chlorine gas leak in Bombay Port Trust

Posted By: Nairita Das
Subscribe to Oneindia News

Mumbai, July 14 (ANI): At least 103 people were hospitalised due to chlorine gas leaking from a cylinder stored in Bombay Port Trust premises near Sewri on Wednesday.

TV reports earlier said that three people have died in the leak. However, there has not been any confirmation of the deaths.

The gas leakage was reported in the vicinity of Lal Bahadur Shastri college here at 4 a.m.ccording to sources, 14 students from the Lal Bahadur Shastri College also been affected. They have been admitted to JJ Hospital.

As a precautionary measure, people residing in and around the area have been evacuated. The cause of the leakage is being probed.

Chlorine gas is a respiratory irritant. It causes eye irritation as well as nausea, vomiting, dizziness and headache.

If exposed a long period of time and in strong concentration, it can lead to restlessness, throat irritation and excess salivation. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...