• search

Ayodhya fidayeen attack anniv: No headway in case

Written by: Staff
|

Faizabad, July 4: Even after a year of the fidayeen attack on the Ram Janmabhoomi, neither the Uttar Pradesh government could complete its desired 'high profile' security system, nor the local court frame charges against the five guilty in the July 5, 2005 terrorist attack.

In the dastardly fidayeen attack on July 5, last year, five terrorists armed with sophisticated weapons had stormed the high-security premises.

However, all of them were gunned down by alert securitymen in an hour-long encounter. Two locals were also killed in cross firing.

Later, five terrorists were arrested from Uttar Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir for being part of the conspiricacy.

The local court is yet to fix charges against the five accused, who are lodged in the Allahabad's Naini Jail.

The legal battle to punish them could not move as no counsel -- even after much effort -- had come forward to represent them.

Local lawyers manhandled counsels, who tried to represent the terrorists case. Now, efforts are on to transfer the case to a nearby district.

Even as Uttar Pradesh has prepared an elaborate security cover for Ram Janmabhoomi along with two other shrines at Varanasi and Mathura, the Centre is yet to get an approval from the Supreme Court to construct a bullet-proof permanent structure near the 'Ramlala'.

Meanwhile, Union Home Minister yesterday moved an application in the Supreme Court Seeking permission to raise the height of the sanctum sanctorum.

''The state government has already sanctioned funds for the construction,'' the sources added.

SSP Faizabad Brij Bhushan told UNI here, security had been beefed up in the thered zone and efforts are on to tighten policing in the yellow zone.

He said the district administration had already sought high profile electronic gadets, including night vision camera and bullet proofing of watch towers.

The square steel structure will be 11x11 feet with a height of eight feet. Officials said a double steel wall would come up on the rear side of Ramlalla to protect it from rocket launchers as well.

The plan includes making watch-towers bulletproof and erecting 10 new towers, installing CCTVs, constructing security walls outside the disputed site and high mast towers.

The Home Ministry has already sanctioned Rs 7.22 crore to execute the new plan. The government also plans to go for digital mapping of the Ram Janmabhoomi. It has also proposed to close three out of the five entry and exit points.

Immediately, after the Ayodhya attack, the Centre had advised the Uttar Pradesh government to put an IPS officer in charge of overall security. However, the state government rejected the proposal on the ground that the disputed area could not be earmarked as a separate district. The state argued it would lead to operational problems with the SSP, Faizabad.

Meanwhile, All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB) has opposed the plan to make the sanctum sanctorum of the disputed Ayodhya site bullet proof.

Babri Masjid Action Committee (BAMC) convernor and Board member Zafaryab Jilani, who is also dealing with the Babri case, said the Centre and the state governments should take measures to strengthen security, but construction of any structure, as envisaged in the application by the Union Home Ministry yesterday was against law.

He said the government could not change the situation of January 7, 1993. He said the apex court too had accepted the status quo of January 7, 1993. He said the AIMPLB had passed a resolution at its meeting in April to oppose any construction at the site.

Mr Jilani claimed he had written a letter to Chief Minister Mulayam Singh Yadav opposing the Rs 7.22-crore security plan prepared by State Government. He said steel walls could not be called a temporary structure.

The Board is in no mood to relent and he said more security personnel could be deployed and other security infrastructure can be put in place. He also said senior police officers could be entrusted with the task of overall security of the disputed area.

Following the attack on the Ram Janmabhoomi, the Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) had lodged a case under sections 147, 148, 302, 307, 353, 153, 153 A, 295, 120 B and 4 of the Indian Panel Code.

Shakil and Nasim Ahmad were arrested on July 27, while Asif Iqbal and Mohd Aziz were arrested on July 14 in the valley by the Jammu and Kashmir Police.

The four were accused of providing SIM cards and sophisticated weapons to the five terrorists, who stormed the high security Ram Janmabhoomi complex.

Irfan -- a Unani medical practitioner -- was arrested by UP police on July 22 in Saharanpur district.

UNI

Related Stories
Govt moves SC for strengthening security at Ram temple in Ayodhya
Home Ministry seeks to raise height of wall around Ram Janam Bhoomi

For Daily Alerts

For Breaking News from Oneindia
Get instant news updates throughout the day.

Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Done
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X
X
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Oneindia sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Oneindia website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more