Keep youself updated with latestNew-delhi News
Railway Budget 2016: Indian Railways in numbers
New Delhi, Feb 26: Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu will present his second Railway Budget on Thursday, Feb 26. Here are some numbers related to the Railway Budget: [Follow Live Updates on Railway Budget 2015]
- 23 million: The number of passengers travel in railways everyday. To carry this many people, the railway runs 12,617 trains everyday connecting 7,172 stations across India.
- The railways require Rs 1.82 lakh crore for completion of 359 pending projects.
- In the last three decades, only 317 of the 676 sanctioned projects have been completed.
- The railways incur a loss of Rs 26,000 crore every year on subsidizing passenger fares.
- The freight contributes 67 per cent of the railways' earnings. The share of freight carried by the railways has declined from 89 per cent in 1950-51 to 31 per cent.
- The railways carry 2.65 million tonnes of cargo very day.
- The operating ratio of the Indian Railways is 94 per cent, which means it saves just 6 paise on every 100 paise
- The number of people working in the railways: Rs 13.1 lakh
- The average number of kilometres added every year to rail route since independence: 200 km