Massive fire at a Mumbai high-rise: Blaze under control; Over 90 people evacuated
A massive fire broke out at Beaumonde Towers in South Mumbai which has a flat owned by bollywood actress Deepika Padukone. More than 95 residents were safely evacuated, fire department officials said. The fire has been categorised as a Level-3 fire.
Reports suggest the fire broke out at about 2 pm, on the 33rd floor of the building and the top two floors are badly affected. Six fire engines and five water tankers have been sent to the spot said officials of the Fire Brigade.
The fire has just spread to the left side of the tower on the 33rd and 32nd floors. Apparently the hydraulic systems used to douse the fire, even with the help of ladders and extensions, can only reach till the 28th floor.
Bollywood actor Deepika Padukone owns a flat in the complex. Her home is located on the 26th floor and is reported to be safe. The actor is away for a shoot, while some members of her staff members were present at her place.
The actor reassured fans with a tweet:
I am safe.Thank You everyone.Let us pray for our firefighters who are at site risking their lives...🙏🏽— Deepika Padukone (@deepikapadukone) June 13, 2018
In 2010, actor Deepika Padukone bought a plush four-bedroom apartment in a 33-storey tower for a whopping Rs16 crore along with her father Prakash, a former national badminton champion.
The Mumbai Police staff and firefighting personnel are at the spot. "They are trying to do their best and douse the fire," the Mumbai Police said on Twitter.
Police personnel, at least 10 fire tenders, 5 jumbo tankers, 2 hydraulic platforms & ambulances present at Beau Monde Towers in Worli's Prabhadevi locality where a level-III fire broke out. Firefighting operations underway. #Mumbai pic.twitter.com/XdMP6roNmC— ANI (@ANI) June 13, 2018
People in the area were tweeting pictures and videos from the spot.
The building known as Beaumonde Towers is a ground-plus-33 floor structure. The complex has three towers, and it yet to be confirmed which tower has caught fire.