International Women's Day 2018 theme is "Time is Now: Rural and urban activists transforming women's lives".
The UN Women said, "Echoing the priority theme of the upcoming 62nd session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women, International Women's Day will also draw attention to the rights and activism of rural women, who make up over a quarter of the world population, and are being left behind in every measure of development."
United Nations set some key targets of the 2030 Agenda:
- By 2030, ensure that all girls and boys complete free, equitable and quality primary and secondary education leading to relevant and Goal-4 effective learning outcomes.
- By 2030, ensure that all girls and boys have access to quality early childhood development, care and pre-primary education so that they are ready for primary education.
- End all forms of discrimination against all women and girls everywhere.
- Eliminate all forms of violence against all women and girls in the public and private spheres, including trafficking and sexual and other types of exploitation.
- Eliminate all harmful practices, such as a child, early and forced marriage and female genital mutilation.
Acid attack survivors
Acid attack survivors walk the ramp during a fashion show on the occasion of International Women's Day, in Thane, Mumbai on Wednesday. PTI Photo
Female bikers leave for a road trip along with women cops after the launch of 'All Women Patrolling Squad" by the South Delhi district police, at Sarojini Nagar in New Delhi on the eve of Women's Day on Wednesday. PTI Photo
Women cops leave for a road trip after the launch of 'All Women Patrolling Squad" by the South Delhi district police, at Sarojini Nagar in New Delhi on the eve of Women's Day on Wednesday. PTI Photo
Girl students display self-defence
Girl students display self-defence and martial art skills after their training at Vovinam, a Vietnamese martial art institute, on the eve of International Women's Day at Saidabad in Hyderabad on Wednesday. PTI Photo
Women workers check the maintenance of a train ahead of International Women's Day celebrated on 8 March, in Guwahati on Wednesday. PTI Photo