Get Updates
Get notified of breaking news, exclusive insights, and must-see stories!

Raul Castro charges: US indicts five Cuban pilots over 1996 Brothers to the Rescue downing

US federal authorities have charged former Cuban President Raul Castro and five Cuban fighter pilots over the 1996 downing of civilian aircraft flown by Miami-based Brothers to the Rescue. Prosecutors allege a conspiracy to track and intercept the planes off Cuba’s coast, citing training missions and orders linked to Castro while he served as defence minister.

US federal prosecutors have filed charges against former Cuban President Raul Castro and five Cuban fighter pilots. The case centres on the 1996 shootdown of civilian aircraft linked to Miami-based exiles. Investigators said the planes belonged to Brothers to the Rescue. The indictment was announced Wednesday, during continued US pressure on Cuba’s socialist government.

US indicts Cuban pilots in 1996 case
AI Summary

AI-generated summary, reviewed by editors

US federal authorities have charged former Cuban President Raul Castro and five Cuban fighter pilots over the 1996 downing of civilian aircraft flown by Miami-based Brothers to the Rescue. Prosecutors allege a conspiracy to track and intercept the planes off Cuba’s coast, citing training missions and orders linked to Castro while he served as defence minister.

Prosecutors accused Castro and the pilots of plotting to terrorise, intimidate, and retaliate against Cubans. The accusations also include targeting Cuba’s exile community. The charges relate to aircraft shot down off Cuba’s coast. Castro, now 94, was Cuba’s defence minister when MiG fighters targeted the group’s planes.

Raul Castro charges linked to Brothers to the Rescue shootdown

The indictment said Cuban Revolutionary Air and Air Defence Force pilots trained around February 1996. Authorities said the missions practised finding, tracking, chasing, and intercepting aircraft. Investigators said the training prepared pilots for expected Brothers to the Rescue flights. The filing alleged the pilots acted under Castro’s command and guidance from an unindicted co-conspirator.

According to prosecutors, Castro approved deadly force after leaflet drops over Cuba in January 1996. Those flights scattered pro-democracy leaflets, the indictment said. US prosecutors also stated Castro and Fidel Castro were the final decision-makers. Fidel Castro was Cuba’s president at the time, prosecutors said.

Brothers to the Rescue shootdown indictment names five Cuban pilots

The defendants were identified as Lt. Col. Lorenzo Alberto Perez-Perez, Jose Fidel Gual Barzaga, Lt. Col. Luis Raul Gonzalez-Pardo Rodriguez, Emilio Jose Palacio Blanco, and Raul Simanca Cardenas. The indictment charged Castro and the five pilots with one count of conspiracy to kill US nationals.

Castro and Perez-Perez also faced counts of murder and destruction of aircraft. The indictment alleged Perez-Perez and an uncharged pilot destroyed two planes on February 24, 1996. Authorities said the attacks happened in international airspace. The incident killed four Americans, the indictment said.

Brothers to the Rescue shootdown account from Lt. Col. Lorenzo Alberto Perez-Perez

Perez-Perez spoke on Cuban state television days after the incident. Perez-Perez said Perez-Perez intercepted the first aircraft and issued warnings. Perez-Perez said the warnings followed orders from controllers. Perez-Perez said the plane did not comply and kept flying near Cuba.

"We tried to dissuade their crew members, but they continued to dangerously approach the Cuban coast, and then we received the order to interrupt the flight of the first aircraft,\" Perez-Perez said at the time. \"Afterward, we conducted the same operation with the second plane, which also refused to change its direction.\"

Perez-Perez was previously indicted in the United States in August 2003. That earlier case accused Perez-Perez of murder, aircraft destruction, and conspiracy. The latest filing again links Perez-Perez to the February 24, 1996 shootdowns. It also repeats that another pilot involved was not charged.

Brothers to the Rescue shootdown case details on Lt. Col. Luis Raul Gonzalez-Pardo Rodriguez

The indictment said Gual Barzaga, Simanca Cardenas, and Gonzalez-Pardo Rodriguez tailed a third plane that day. Prosecutors said that aircraft was followed but not destroyed. Gonzalez-Pardo Rodriguez, 65, was the only defendant in US custody. Gonzalez-Pardo Rodriguez was indicted in November for alleged immigration false statements.

The US Department of Justice said Gonzalez-Pardo Rodriguez denied military training in immigration paperwork. Officials said Gonzalez-Pardo Rodriguez also claimed no role in groups using weapons. Prosecutors said Gonzalez-Pardo Rodriguez also denied serving in military or police units. Prosecutors said Gonzalez-Pardo Rodriguez actually trained and served in Cuba’s Air Defence Force.

Gonzalez-Pardo Rodriguez pleaded guilty in February. Gonzalez-Pardo Rodriguez was scheduled for sentencing later this month. The indictment connected that defendant to the 1996 operations. It also placed other pilots in aircraft supporting the mission near Cuba.

Brothers to the Rescue shootdown timeline mentions San Antonio de los Banos airfield

Little was publicly known about Gual Barzaga, Palacio Blanco, and Simanca Cardenas. The indictment said Perez-Perez and Palacio Blanco took off from San Antonio de los Banos airfield. The base was near Havana, the filing said. Authorities said both flew separate jets and later pursued civilian aircraft.

The indictment said Perez-Perez sought approval to fire about 20 minutes after take-off. While Perez-Perez attacked two planes, the filing said Gual Barzaga and Simanca Cardenas shared a third fighter jet. Prosecutors said Gonzalez-Pardo Rodriguez waited in a fourth aircraft. Authorities said the waiting pilots heard radio requests and joined pursuit of the third plane.

The federal indictment also included an undated photo. The image showed Gonzalez-Pardo Rodriguez and Perez-Perez studying a document beside a fighter jet. Authorities used the photo as part of the case file. The charges remained focused on alleged planning and actions tied to the 1996 incident.

With inputs from PTI

Notifications
Settings
Clear Notifications
Notifications
Use the toggle to switch on notifications
  • Block for 8 hours
  • Block for 12 hours
  • Block for 24 hours
  • Don't block
Gender
Select your Gender
  • Male
  • Female
  • Others
Age
Select your Age Range
  • Under 18
  • 18 to 25
  • 26 to 35
  • 36 to 45
  • 45 to 55
  • 55+