Get Updates
Get notified of breaking news, exclusive insights, and must-see stories!

Trump Says Iran Peace Deal And Reopening Of Strait Of Hormuz Are ‘Largely Negotiated’

US President Donald Trump says a peace agreement with Iran is almost ready, with only final details pending. Trump claims the deal, once announced, will reopen the Strait of Hormuz and block Iran from getting a nuclear weapon. Multiple regional leaders have been involved in calls as Washington and Tehran move from a ceasefire towards a possible long-term arrangement.

AI Summary

AI-generated summary, reviewed by editors

US President Donald Trump reports a peace agreement with Iran is nearing finalization, aiming to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and block nuclear weapons, following diplomatic talks with regional leaders and a recent ceasefire.

The momentum builds after months of confrontation. The US and Israel carried out extensive strikes on Iran on 28 February, prompting Iranian attacks on Israel and US-aligned Gulf states. A ceasefire in Iran followed in early April, and since then negotiators from Washington and Tehran have met repeatedly to shape a broader peace framework for the region.

US-Iran peace agreement talks and regional diplomacy

Trump said on social media that an "agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries, as listed". Trump added that the "final aspects and details of the deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly", though no timetable has been confirmed.

Trump also revealed a series of calls with regional leaders as part of the US-Iran peace agreement discussions. On social media, Trump wrote that there had been a "very good call" with the leaders of Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, "and others" about a "Memorandum of Understanding pertaining to PEACE". Trump said a separate call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu "went very well".

US-Iran peace agreement framework and Iranian position

Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei told state television that US and Iranian positions had moved closer over the past week. Baqaei warned this improvement did not guarantee agreement on every major issue and criticised the US side for what Baqaei called "contradictory statements". Baqaei still described a shared "memorandum of understanding" that is being prepared between the two governments.

Explaining Iran’s expectations on the US-Iran peace agreement, Baqaei said the aim was to reach a deal "in the form of a framework, consisting of 14 points". Baqaei said officials were working on finalising that memorandum so that further negotiations could take place within 30 to 60 days "and ultimately a final agreement can be reached". Tehran has not released the 14-point list.

US-Iran peace agreement, nuclear concerns and domestic pressure

Trump has refused to release full details of the proposed US-Iran peace agreement but has repeated one central condition. Trump insists any deal would "absolutely" stop Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon. Trump is facing pressure at home, and on Friday posted on Truth Social that Trump would skip Donald Jr's wedding this weekend to stay in Washington DC "during this important period of time".

The sense of progress marks a change in tone from recent days in Washington. Anonymous US officials briefed domestic media on Friday that the administration was planning for another round of military strikes on Iran, although they stressed no final decision had been taken. Last week, Trump said the truce was on "massive life support" after rejecting Tehran’s demands and calling them "totally unacceptable".

US-Iran peace agreement, blockade and Strait of Hormuz control

The emerging US-Iran peace agreement sits alongside a strict US blockade on Iranian ports that began on 13 April. US Central Command said that, since then, US forces had redirected 100 vessels, disabled four ships, and allowed 26 humanitarian aid vessels to pass. Admiral Brad Cooper said US forces had been "highly effective" in "allowing zero trade into and out of Iranian ports which has squeezed Iran economically".

Iran, however, claims to hold military control over waters around the Strait of Hormuz, a vital route for global oil shipments. Tehran says that all shipping through the strait "requires coordination with and authorisation from the Persian Gulf Strait Authority". The US and Gulf allies reject that claim and have instructed commercial vessels not to follow Iran’s rules as talks continue.

Event Date Details
US-Israel strikes on Iran 28 February Wide-ranging attacks triggered Iranian retaliation against Israel and Gulf allies.
Ceasefire in Iran Early April Washington and Tehran agreed to halt attacks and begin peace talks.
US blockade of Iranian ports 13 April US Central Command began blocking trade while allowing limited aid shipments.

Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has welcomed movement towards a US-Iran peace agreement. Sharif said, "I congratulate President Donald Trump on his extraordinary efforts to pursue peace," and described a recent call as "very useful and productive". Sharif added on X that "We hope to host the next round of talks very soon", signalling Islamabad’s interest in supporting the process.

Notifications
Settings
Clear Notifications
Notifications
Use the toggle to switch on notifications
  • Block for 8 hours
  • Block for 12 hours
  • Block for 24 hours
  • Don't block
Gender
Select your Gender
  • Male
  • Female
  • Others
Age
Select your Age Range
  • Under 18
  • 18 to 25
  • 26 to 35
  • 36 to 45
  • 45 to 55
  • 55+