Bangkok, July 12: The world is yet to get rid of the hangover of a breath-taking mission to rescue a team of 12 young footballers and their coach from a complex cave in northern Thailand over a week since July 2, when they were spotted being trapped. The boys, aged between 11 and 16, got trapped inside the cave which they had entered on June 23 for exploring because of sudden monsoon flooding. They were brought out by a team of specialised divers though one of them died while on duty because of shortage of air.
According to a report in Singapore-based The Straits Times, most of the 12 boys lost two kilograms on an average but were otherwise doing good, a senior health official said on Wednesday, July 11.
"From our assessment, they are in good condition and not stressed. Most of the boys lost an average of 2 kg," the report quoted Dr Thongchai Lertwilairatanapong, an inspector for Thailand's health department, saying.
The official said the boys were not hurt by the lack of food, adding that they had water during their stay inside the cave, the report added. The coach was also in a good condition, he said.
The mission to evacuate the boys started on Sunday, July 8, when four of them were brought out. The approaching rains and the deteriorating oxygen levels alarmed the rescue officials, especially after the death of Saman Gunan, a former Thai Navy SEAL, last week. The entire group was evacuated by Tuesday, July 10.
The official also said that the boys did well since they were together and backed each other at the time of the crisis, the report added. Their coach also helped them in the survival mission.
The official added that one among the last five rescued had some lung conditions, the report added.