• search

Indo-China annual military exercise to resume this year post Doklam standoff

By Oneindia Staff Writer
Subscribe to Oneindia News
For Quick Alerts
Subscribe Now
For Quick Alerts
ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS
For Daily Alerts

    The bilateral military exercise between India and China which was suspended after the Doklam standoff is likely to resume this year. Both countries would aim at resetting ties following a tense standoff at Doklam last year.

    Indo-China annual military exercise to resume this year post Doklam standoff

    The exercise 'Hand-in-Hand' between the armies of the two countries will take place within next 4-5 months in China and an announcement is likely to be made very soon, sources told PTI.

    It is learnt that the issue of resumption of the annual exercise had figured during talks between defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman and her Chinese counterpart General Wei Fenghe in Beijing yesterday.

    Sitharaman was in Beijing to attend a meeting of defence ministers of SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organisation) countries.

    Also Read | Doklam standoff due to mistrust says China ahead of Modi-Xi meet

    Prime Narendra Modi is travelling to the Chinese city of Wuhan on Friday on a two-day visit to hold an "informal summit" with Chinese President Xi Jinping, seen as an effort to build mutual trust between the two sides.

    Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Kong Xuanyou said the two leaders will try to reach important consensus to resolve outstanding issues and build mutual trust during their talks in Wuhan.

    The government sources said both sides want to resume the military exercise as it will act as a confidence-building measure between the two armies.

    The annual exercise was to be hosted by China in 2017 but it did not take place due to the Doklam standoff. So far, both sides have participated in six editions of the exercise. India had hosted the exercise in 2016.

    Troops of India and China were locked in a 73-day-long standoff in Doklam from June 16 last year after the Indian side stopped the building of a road in the disputed area by the Chinese army. The face-off was "resolved" on August 28 last year.

    The area in Doklam where China tried to construct a road is a disputed territory claimed by both China and Bhutan. India sent its troops to stop the Chinese construction activity, saying it could be a threat to its strategic interests in the region.

    For Breaking News from Oneindia
    Get instant news updates throughout the day.

    X
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Oneindia sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Oneindia website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more