Get Updates
Get notified of breaking news, exclusive insights, and must-see stories!

Congressional Report Says 42 US Aircraft Were Destroyed Or Damaged In Iran Conflict

A new report from the Congressional Research Service has revealed significant US military aircraft losses and damage during Operation Epic Fury, the military campaign launched against Iran in coordination with Israel on February 28, 2026. The report states that at least 42 aircraft, including fighter jets, drones, helicopters and surveillance aircraft, were either destroyed or damaged during the conflict.

42 US Aircrafts Crashed in Iran
AI Summary

AI-generated summary, reviewed by editors

A Congressional Research Service report reveals at least 42 US aircraft were destroyed or damaged during Operation Epic Fury against Iran, launched Feb 28, 2026, with the campaign costing nearly $29 billion amid ongoing tensions.

The assessment comes as tensions between Washington and Tehran continue despite a ceasefire reached in April that slowed military operations across the Middle East.

Congressional Report Highlights Scale Of Damage

According to the report, the losses included fixed-wing aircraft, rotary-wing aircraft and uncrewed systems involved in combat missions during the Iran war. Officials noted that the final numbers could still change because of classification concerns, ongoing investigations and disputes regarding the exact causes behind some incidents.

The report also underlined the massive financial impact of the operation. During a May 12 hearing, Acting Pentagon Comptroller Jules W. Hurst III told lawmakers that the estimated cost of Operation Epic Fury had surged to nearly $29 billion. A major portion of that spending is reportedly linked to repairing damaged aircraft and replacing destroyed equipment.

Iran Claims F-35 Shootdown As Tensions Rise Again

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi reacted strongly to the findings in the report and warned that any future conflict would "feature many more surprises."

Araghchi also claimed Iran became the first country to shoot down an F-35 fighter jet. Referring to the Congressional Research Service findings, he said the report showed that "US Congress acknowledges loss of dozens of aircraft worth billions."

His remarks come at a time when US President Donald Trump is reportedly weighing fresh military strikes against Iran amid stalled negotiations surrounding nuclear material and the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.

Trump said on Tuesday that he could authorise new strikes over the weekend after delaying an operation initially planned earlier this week following requests from Gulf leaders.

Aircraft Reportedly Destroyed During Operation Epic Fury

The report listed multiple aircraft losses during combat and operational missions linked to the Iran conflict.

Among the destroyed aircraft were 24 MQ-9 Reaper drones reportedly lost during operations. Four F-15E Strike Eagle fighter jets were also destroyed, including three that were accidentally hit by friendly fire over Kuwait and another shot down during combat missions over Iran.

The report further stated that two MC-130J Commando II special operations aircraft were intentionally destroyed on the ground in Iran during rescue missions.

Other losses included an A-10 Thunderbolt II attack aircraft destroyed after enemy fire, a KC-135 Stratotanker that crashed following an aerial incident over Iraq, and an MQ-4C Triton drone that reportedly crashed due to what officials described as a mishap.

Several US Aircraft Also Suffered Heavy Damage

In addition to the destroyed aircraft, the report detailed extensive damage suffered by several major US military platforms.

Six KC-135 Stratotanker aerial refuelling aircraft were damaged, with five reportedly hit during an Iranian missile and drone strike on Prince Sultan Air Base in Saudi Arabia.

An E-3 Sentry AWACS surveillance aircraft was also damaged during the same attack. The report additionally mentioned damage to an F-35A Lightning II fighter jet caused by Iranian ground fire.

An HH-60W Jolly Green II rescue helicopter was reportedly hit by small-arms fire while carrying out rescue operations inside Iran.

The Congressional Research Service report is expected to intensify scrutiny over the true cost and consequences of Operation Epic Fury as tensions between the US and Iran remain unresolved.

Notifications
Settings
Clear Notifications
Notifications
Use the toggle to switch on notifications
  • Block for 8 hours
  • Block for 12 hours
  • Block for 24 hours
  • Don't block
Gender
Select your Gender
  • Male
  • Female
  • Others
Age
Select your Age Range
  • Under 18
  • 18 to 25
  • 26 to 35
  • 36 to 45
  • 45 to 55
  • 55+