A power bank kept in the overhead luggage compartment of a plane went up in flames in Guangzhou, China, on Sunday. The fire was contained within a few minutes after a flight attendant promptly threw bottled water at the flames. Luckily, the plane was still in Guangzhou airport when the power bank caught fire.
A fire broke out in the luggage rack of a China Southern airplane in Guangzhou on Sunday after a portable charger carried by a passenger caught fire during the boarding process. The fire was put out promptly. Passengers have been relocated to another plane. pic.twitter.com/8BzNkxh6rg— People's Daily,China (@PDChina) February 25, 2018
In a video taken by a passenger onboard flight, it can be seen that the fire suddenly erupted from a passenger's bag in the overhead bin. One of the flight attendants immediately threw water on it and shortly afterwards another passenger joined the 'fire fighting' by throwing juice at the burning device.
According to People's Daily China, the incident happened on a China Southern Airline flight to Shanghai on Sunday. The flight was delayed as the passengers were disembarked from the plane following the incident and allocated a new aircraft, said reports.
The flight attendant's action of throwing water was criticised on the social media with some asking why a fire extinguisher was not used.
According to reports, the power bank was not in use when it caught fire. The passenger, who owned the bag with power bank in it, was questioned by the authorities as part of the investigation.
No one was injured in the incident which took place on board flight CZ3539 of China Southern Airline.