UP: 300 kids of Shamli School fall sick due to chemical leak

Posted By:
Subscribe to Oneindia News
Uttar Pradesh: Over 300 students admitted in hospital after major gas leak in Shamli | Oneindia News

Over 300 students of Saraswati Shishu Mandir were hospitalised on Tuesday due to chemical leakage at a sugar mill near the school in Shamli, Uttar Pradesh.

Students fall ill after gas leak. Photo credit: ANI

The students were rushed to nearby hospitals as they complained complained of vomiting and burning eyes after chemical leakage in a sugar mill on Tuesday.

According to sources, more than 150 students have been referred to hospitals in Muzaffarnagar and Meerut. Fumes emanating from a chemical container is said to have caused the irritation.

"Between 30 and 35 children are in a serious condition, 15 have been referred to Meerut," said Surjeet Singh, a senior district official.

Doctors say none of the other children are seriously affected. But at the hospital, there was panic among parents and teachers.

The Sugar mill, where use of chemical led to illness of 300 students at a school nearby, has been sealed by authorities.

In the meantime, parents of the students protested against carelessness of the sugar mill in disposing of its wastage and demanded action against the sugar mill administrators.

The Chief Medical Officer has ordered a probe in the issue. Police officials have reached on the spot and are probing the matter.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...