Triple talaq: 5 judges of 5 religions Supreme Court bench
The Supreme Court today by a 3:2 majority struck down triple talaq. While the CJI and Justice Nazeer were in favour of the practise the other three judges observed that the practise was unconstitutional. The court held that triple talaq is manifestly arbitrary.
The multi-religion constitution bench comprises of Chief Justice J S Khehar - a Sikh, Justices Kurian Joseph - a Christian, RF Nariman- a Parsi, UU Lalit- a Hindu and Abdul Nazeer - a Muslim.
The bench had begun the hearing on May 11. The bench had heard the issue for six days during which various parties including the Centre, All India Muslim Personal Law Board, All India Muslim Women Personal Law Board and various others made the submissions.
The bench had made it clear that it would examine whether the practice of triple talaq among Muslims is fundamental to their religion and had also said for the time being it will not deliberate upon the issue of polygamy and 'nikah halala'.
Hon'ble Mr. Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar
- (DoB.) 28-08-1952
- Term of Office: Appointed on 13-09-2011. Date of Retirement 27-08-2017
- Appointed as The Chief Justice of India on 04-01-2017
Hon'ble Mr. Justice Kurian Joseph
- (DoB.) 30-11-1953
- Term of Office: Appointed on 08-03-2013.
- Date of Retirement 29-11-2018
Hon'ble Mr. Justice Uday Umesh Lalit
- (DoB.) 09-11-1957.
- Term of Office: Appointed on 13-08-2014.
- Date of Retirement 08-11-2022
Hon'ble Mr. Justice R.F. Nariman
- (DoB.) 13-08-1956
- Term of Office: Appointed on 07-07-2014. Date of Retirement 12-08-2021
Hon'ble Mr. Justice S. Abdul Nazeer
- (DoB.) 05-01-1958
- Term of Office: Appointed on 17-02-2017. Date of Retirement 04-01-2023