Time-based OTP: New security feature introduced in mAadhaar app
The mAadhaar app has seen over 1 million downloads in just last two months since its launch in July this year. Now, the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has introduced a new security feature the TOTP- time-based OTP- to its mobile app mAadhaar.
The advantage of Time-based Onetime Temporary Password:
- No need to wait for OTP to arrive on their mobile.
- TOTP will be always available on mAadhaar App on their mobile phones
- In future, all OTP based Aadhaar authentication applications will be migrated to TOTP based Aadhaar authentication.
- It is an 8 digit long numeric string generated as one-time temporary password (OTP) by an algorithm and valid only for 30 seconds
Dr. Ajay Bhushan Pandey, CEO, UIDAI said, "Currently, to improve both security and convenience, TOTP has been configured in our Self Service Update Portal (SSUP) and eAadhaar download."
He said, "TOTP as suggested by its nomenclature has time variable characteristic and is personal to the resident. It is uniquely generated every 30 seconds for each resident separately in mAadhaar."
However, the client mobile device's time should be in sync with IST time-zone. TOTP addresses OTP related shortcomings like residents dependency on mobile network for SMS delivery, etc.", he added.
According to UIDAI sources, if you have downloaded mAadhaar on your registered mobile, you can create your profile through an OTP based authentication from UIDAI. Once this profile is created, which is password protected optionally, you may navigate to TOTP page view, as and when required. Remember your TOTP is valid only for 30 second
The advantage of mAadhaar:
- The mAadhaar app, a beta version, allows one to carry his Aadhaar on his mobile registered with Aadhaar. Currently, the app is available on Android
- The app stores and displays demographic data that is available on your Aadhaar card including name, date of birth, gender, address and photograph
- By downloading this app on his registered mobile, a user need not carry physical copy of his Aadhaar card
Indian Railways has allowed m-Aadhaar as one of the valid proof of identity for rail travel since 8th Sept. 2017.