LS polls (Tamil Nadu): No final word on seat sharing, alliances

Posted By:
Subscribe to Oneindia News
TN: No final word on alliances
Chennai, March 12: The political scene in Tamil Nadu is taking a turns and U-turns by the second, so much so that there is no concrete answer to the alliances that may fight the Lok Sabha elections in 2014.

While BJP may have bagged a "rainbow alliance" with the DMDK, PMK and MDMK, seat sharing details are yet to be confirmed. However, it is rumoured that actor-turned-politician Vijaykanth's DMDK will be leading the front with 14 seats.

BJP can expect to win seats through DMDK and Ramadoss' PMK in the Vanniyar community in western and northern districts. Though DMDK has a small presence of 4% in Tamil Nadu, BJP is banking on it for a footing. Political commentator Gnani Shankaran said,"The BJP desperately wants a small player like DMDK with them because in Tamil Nadu to beat AIADMK you need numbers and even with a depleted strength of about 4 per cent even that 4 per cent is big for the BJP in Tamil Nadu because they have a minimal presence. So they want to add up the numbers even now knowing that the DMDK does not have 8 per cent."

Congress, meanwhile has been left isolated. "Congress is in a real lose-lose situation. There is no win-win. They can think of going it alone in all 40 constituencies, fielding all their star candidates and over a long period, they can hope to build up a party and cadre," said Shankaran.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...