Mumbai: 24 fall ill after consuming food on-board Tejas express
About 24 passengers of Goa-Mumbai Tejas Express were on Sunday admitted to hospital after consuming breakfast served by on-board pantry car operator. Of the 24 passengers, three are in the intensive care unit.
The passengers complained of illness after eating the food served on the premium train Tejas Express. The operator is contracted by the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation(IRCTC).
The train was stopped at Chiplun in the Konkan region of Maharashtra. All the passengers with symptoms of food poisoning were admitted in a hospital. The passengers are said to be stable. But, they are still under observation of the doctors of the private hospital, where they were taken to.
Passengers, who were admitted in the hospital, complained soon after having their breakfast served on the train. About 300 passengers were served breakfast by the pantry staff of the Tejas Express.
Responding to the incident, the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) said that "all the passengers currently hospitalised are out of danger and the same has been confirmed by hospital authorities."
"About 290 passengers were served breakfast. Around 12pm, 3 passengers complained that they were feeling uneasy and felt like vomiting. After couple of hours, more passengers complained of similar symptoms, it said.
The IRCTC also said that a probe has been launched to ascertain the source of food poisoning. "Food sample have been taken for investigation. Total no 300 breakfast (170 veg 130 non veg) has been served," the IRCTC said.
Tejas Express is a state of the art train capable of running at the speed of 200 kmph with ultra modern amenities run between Mumbai and Karmali.
The area officer of the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) in Madgaon and the on-board catering manager have been placed under suspension pending a fact-finding committee's report and results of test of food samples, railway spokesperson Anil Saxena said here tonight.