• search

Maratha reservation: 'We don't trust the Govt', says Sakal Maratha Samaj representative

By Chennabasaveshwar
Subscribe to Oneindia News
For Quick Alerts
Subscribe Now
For Quick Alerts
ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS
For Daily Alerts

    Mumbai, July 28: After an all-party meeting, Maratha organization decided not to have further discussion with the Government over the issue of Maratha reservation.

    Sakal Maratha Samaj representatives said, "We don't trust the Govt. They should take a decision, we don't want any further discussions with them."

    Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis. PTI file photo

    "We demand apology and resignation from CM and minister Chandrakant Patil. We also demand Rs 50 Lakh compensation for families of deceased and action against cops who baton charged at women. If these demands are not met we'll launch 'jail bharo andolan' from August 1," stated the organisation.

    Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis assured that all parties have the same opinion on Maratha Reservation issue and we have decided to take a unanimous stand on the matter.

    He said, "Govt had framed a law for Maratha reservation but that was stayed by HC. We realized it's a special situation & reservation can be given only on the recommendation of the Backward commission. Unfortunately, the commission's 1st chairman passed away, we appointed a new & that took time."

    "Appealed that situation should be peaceful and no one should take the extreme step. Requested Backward commission to submit its report & then we'll convene a special assembly session," Fadnavis said.

    The CM instructed the DGP that cases registered against people who participated in protests should be taken back.

    "Only the serious cases like attacking police personnel, indulging in arson etc. will not be taken back," he added.

    Five MLAs have so far resigned over the Maratha quota demand. Bharat Bhalke (Congress), Rahul Aher (BJP) and Dattatraya Bharne (NCP) resigned as legislators today, Maharashtra Assembly sources said.

    It may be recalled that, in 2003-04, the National Commission for Backward Classes had rejected the demand for including the Maratha community in the category of OBC category.

    The Maharashtra State Backward Class Commission had held in 2008 that "Marathas are both economically and politically a forward caste. They never faced social stigma to invite the backward class status."

    A day before the bandh called by Maratha organisations, Chief Minister Fadnavis had called for an emergency high-level meeting to review the "progress" made by the Maharashtra State Backward Class Commission on the issue.

    However, the Maratha community claimed that the government need not wait for the commission to finalise its report as the Backward Class Commission was already considering the proposal to accord OBC status to Marathas, and its work was going on.

    For Breaking News from Oneindia
    Get instant news updates throughout the day.

    X
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Oneindia sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Oneindia website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more