For Quick Alerts
For Daily Alerts
How to vote in India
With so many elections coming up, you must exercise your franchise. Before you go to the polling station, there are some pre-requisites which have to be abided by.
Here we provide you a step by step guide on how to vote in India.
How to vote in India:
- You need to be 18 years old or above
- You need to be a citizen of India
- Check if your name is in the electoral rolls and for that visit your State Electoral Officer's website
- The list is also available at the local Electoral Registration Office.
- Keep handy your Voter ID or other valid photo IDs and voters slip
- The voters slip is handed over at your doorstep.
- If you are not given the voters slip, don't worry, it can be obtained at the polling booth counters set up by major political parties.
Also Read | How to get a duplicate Voter ID card
- At the booth keep your voter slip and ID ready with you
- A polling official will check your name on the list and your identity proof.
- Another official will ink your finger, take your signature and give you a chit
- A third official will check your chit
- You are ready to vote
- Press the button next to the candidate of your choice on the EVM
- After you vote, a slip to authenticate your vote gets generated at Voter Verifiable Audit Trail (VVPAT) next to the EVM.
- It is visible in the glass case for a few seconds before it goes into a sealed box.