Amid an unprecedented security cover, celebrations for the 69th Republic Day began on the Rajpath in the presence of the leaders of 10 ASEAN nations who are attending the event as chief guests. The Republic Day is celebrated every year on January 26 to honour the date on which the Constitution of India came into effect in 1950.
Here are some of the intersting facts:
- Leaders of 10 ASEAN countries attended India's Republic Day celebrations as chief guests at the majestic Rajpath, signifying India's growing ties with the powerful grouping.
- The 27-member BSF women 'daredevils' squad, named 'Seema Bhavani', will showcase their stunts and acrobatics on their 350cc Royal Enfield Bullet motorcycles.
- For the first time, the All-India Radio float will lead the parade.
- This year's parade will see participants not just from the Indian Army, Air Force, Navy, it will see over 700 students across the guest countries performing at the event.
- For the first time, floats from Income Tax Department and Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) will be seen at the parade.
- Attack helicopter Rudra will participate in the celebrations for the first time ever. In its maiden appearance at the parade, Rudra will join 21 fighters, 12 helicopters and five transporters from IAF in the fly past.