The Haryana government will withdraw 70 FIRs registered against 822 Jat agitators in connection with the February 2016 Jat quota stir violence.
Speaking to ANI, Additional Chief Secretary (Home) SS Prasad said,''Cases(during Jat reservation protests) against 822 people who were accused in 70 FIRs have now been recommended for withdrawal.''
''A total of 822 people were accused in the 70 FIRs. In December, a similar direction was issued for (the withdrawal of) 15 cases in which 47 persons were accused. Similar instructions were earlier given in connection with 138 cases, in which 1,158 people were accused," Prasad said. So far, the government has approved withdrawal of 223 cases, in which a total of 2,027 persons are accused, he said.
The All India Jat Aarakshan Sangharsh Samiti (AIJASS), however, demanded that all such cases should be withdrawn.
AIJASS chief Yashpal Malik even threatened to disrupt the motorcycle rally of BJP chief Amit Shah in Jind on February 15 over their demands.
The move also attracted criticism with Kurukshetra MP Raj Kumar Saini saying those who suffered hugely during the violence should be asked before the cases are withdrawn.
In February 2016 Jat quota stir, around 30 people were killed and more than 300 people injured.