Gurmeet Ram Rahim convicted: A timeline of court hearings
Rockstar 'godman' Gurmeet Ram Rahim has been held guilty in 15-year old rape charges. The court at Haryana found him guilty under Section 376 of the Indian Penal Code. The court also agreed with the arguments put forth by the prosecution and investigation agency while holding him guilty.
Here is a timeline of hearings:
- 2002: Anonymous letters addressed to then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and the then Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court, allege sexual exploitation of women followers at Dera Sacha Sauda in Sirsa
- September 24, 2002: The Punjab and Haryana High Court hands over case to CBI
- July 2007: CBI files charge sheet against the dera head
- September 6, 2008: Special CBI court frames charges against Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh under Sections 376 (rape) and 506 (criminal intimidation) of the IPC
- April 5, 2011: Special CBI court shifts from Ambala to Panchkula; the case also transferred to the Panchkula CBI court
- August 17, 2017: Special CBI Judge Jagdeep Singh reserves verdict for August 25
- August 25, 2017: Special CBI Judge Jagdeep Singh convicts Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh in rape case.