BJP releases candidate list for Karnataka legislative council elections 2017
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)'s Central Election Committee (CEC) on Wednesday finalised the names of six candidates for the Karnataka legislative council election 2017.
The CEC meeting was held at party's headquarters in Ashok Road in Delhi.
"As far as the legislative of Karnataka is concerned, for all the 6 seats a list has been declared. It will be on the website," CEC secretary and Union Minister JP Nadda told the media after the meeting.
The meeting was chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP president Amit Shah. It was also attended by Home Minister Rajnath Singh, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and other members of the CEC.
The following is the list of BJP's candidates:
- South-West Graduates constituency - Ayanur Manjunath
- South West Teachers constituency - Ganesh Karnik
- South Teachers constituency - B Niranjan Murthy
- North East Graduates constituency - KB Shrinivas
- South East Teachers constituency - Dr Haalunur S Lepakshi
- Bangalore Graduates constituency - A Devegowda
The Karnataka Legislative Council is a permanent body comprising 75 members. At present, among the 75 members of the Legislative Council, 25 are elected by the Karnataka Legislative Assembly members, 25 are elected by local authorities, 7 are elected by the Graduates, 7 are elected by the Teachers and 11 members are nominated by the Governor of Karnataka.