• search
For Quick Alerts
ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS  
For Daily Alerts

    Ayodhya case adjourned to Jan 29 after Justice Lalit recuses himself

    |

    New Delhi, Jan 10: The Constitution Bench of the Supreme Court that it would only fix the date for hearing the appeals in the Ayodhya case. The Bench made it clear that there would be no hearing on the appeals and only a date would be fixed.

    Ayodhya case adjourned to Jan 29 after Justice Lalit recuses himself

    However there was a twist in the case, when Justice U U Lalit recused himself from hearing the case. He took the decision after the Muslim side pointed out that he was once a lawyer for Kalyan Singh in a contempt case related to the disputed land.

    Also Read | CJI, 4 future CJIs on Ayodhya Bench: Why it is inclusive and significant

    Once this was pointed out, Chief Justice of India, Ranjan Gogoi said that all brother judges are of the opinion that it would not be appropriate for him to take part in the hearing of the Ayodhya land dispute.

    The CJI said if Justice Lalit was not to take part further, then the hearing needs to be postponed. The case will now be heard on January 29 and a new Bench would need to be constituted.

    The Supreme Court's registry will have to give a report on by when all the papers should be translated and the case should be ready for hearing.

    Also Read | 'Why drag Ayodhya issue to court?' asks Farooq Abdullah

    On Tuesday, the Supreme Court registry issued a notice, informing that a five-judge bench comprising CJI Ranjan Gogoi, Justices S A Bobde, N V Ramana, Uday U Lalit and DY Chandrachud will be hearing case on January 10.

    A three-judge bench of the Supreme Court had on September 27 last year, by 2:1 majority, refused to refer to a five-judge constitution bench for reconsideration of the observations in its 1994 judgement that a mosque was not integral to Islam.

    Also Read | What next after Justice Lalit exits from Constitution Bench hearing Ayodhya appeals

    When the matter was last taken up on January 4, there was no indication that the case would be referred to a constitution Bench.As many as 14 appeals have been filed in the Supreme Court against the 2010 Allahabad High Court judgement, delivered in four civil suits, that the 2.77-acre land be partitioned equally among the three parties -- the Sunni Waqf Board, the Nirmohi Akhara and Ram Lalla.

    The SC on October 29 last year had fixed the matter in the first week of January before the "appropriate bench".

    Also Read | Now, house sought for Lord Rama under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana

    Later, an application was moved for according an urgent hearing by advancing the date, but the top court had refused the plea, saying it had already passed an order on October 29 relating to the hearing of the matter.

    For Daily Alerts

    For Breaking News from Oneindia
    Get instant news updates throughout the day.

    Notification Settings X
    Time Settings
    Done
    Clear Notification X
    Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
    Settings X
    X
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Oneindia sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Oneindia website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more