Despite the UIDAI putting up disclaimers on its website to spread awareness some Aadhaar enrollment centres continue to dupe people. Reports of such centres charges a higher fee have been reported.
The enrollment of Aadhaar is supposed to be free and the official fee for changing one's details is only Rs 25.
Many government authorised and private centres across the country are allegedly duping people by charging them something between Rs 100-500 for the same.
Since December last year, close to 6,000 operators have been blacklisted for overcharging Aadhaar applicants. Incidents of overcharging were reported primarily from Delhi NCR, Tamil Nadu's capital Chennai and across Jharkhand.
UIDAI has increased the penalty for violation of stipulated guidelines from Rs 10,000 to Rs 50,000 and it has come into effect since July.
Actual Aadhaar charges:
- Aadhaar Charges New enrollment: Free
- Biometric update for children at age 5 and 15: Free
- Biometric update of registered adults: Rs 25
- Demographic update (name, address, mobile number, etc.): Rs 25
- Finding Aadhaar and black-and-white printout: Rs 10
- Finding Aadhaar and Colour printout: Rs 20