26 children fall ill after consuming biryani in Bhiwandi
At least 26 children fell ill on Wednesday evening after consuming biryani in Bhiwandi's Diwan Shah Madrasa in Roshan Bagh area. Five children who were critical were referred to Mumbai hospital for further treatment.
Doctor Anil Throta, said, "26 children were brought here. They were showing symptoms of food poisoning after they had consumed Biryani. Five were very critical so we referred them to Mumbai."
The children were served food at a feast organised by a person at the madrassa on Tuesday afternoon, Bhiwandi's tehsildar Shashikant Gaikwad said.
The students, all boys aged around 12 to 15, complained of vomiting, nausea, stomachache and giddiness on Wednesday following which they were rushed to the government-run IGM hospital in Bhiwandi, he said.
(With agency inputs)