Get Updates
Get notified of breaking news, exclusive insights, and must-see stories!

12 Year Old Raped And Murdered In Jammu And Kashmir's Budgam, Probe Underway

A shocking and heartbreaking incident from Jammu and Kashmir's Budgam district has triggered grief and outrage across the Kashmir Valley after a 12-year-old girl was allegedly raped and murdered. The young girl, who had gone missing on Saturday evening, was found dead in a nearby field on Sunday morning.

minor raped in budgam
AI Summary

AI-generated summary, reviewed by editors

A 12-year-old girl missing from Budgam, Jammu & Kashmir, was found dead on Sunday; preliminary findings suggest rape and murder, prompting police to form a Special Investigation Team (SIT).

The brutal crime has left residents shaken and has once again raised serious concerns about the safety of children. Police have launched a detailed investigation into the matter and formed a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to identify those responsible.

Girl Went Missing After Leaving for Religious Class

According to officials, the victim belonged to Galwanpora village in Budgam district. She had left her home on Saturday evening to attend a religious class but did not return.

As night approached and there was no trace of the girl, worried family members and villagers began searching for her. Residents continued the search throughout the night in the hope of finding her safe.

However, the search ended in tragedy on Sunday morning when her body was recovered from a nearby field located close to her house.

Police officials said the body was found around 200 meters away from the family's home.

Police Suspect Rape and Murder

Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Budgam, Hariprasad K K, said preliminary findings suggest the case appears to be one of rape and murder.

He confirmed that medico-legal formalities had been completed and that police were investigating every possible angle connected to the case.

The victim's maternal uncle described the scene as horrifying. He said the girl's body was partially submerged in a nearby water body and injuries were visible on her face.
The details of the incident have deeply disturbed the local community and sparked anger among residents.

Residents Gather, Demand Strict Action

Soon after the body was discovered, large numbers of residents gathered near the crime scene. Many demanded the immediate arrest of those responsible and strict punishment under the law.

An elderly local resident said the girl had left home around 4 PM for her religious class and questioned how such a crime could happen despite many houses being nearby.

Residents also said the girl had been carrying a Quran when she left home, which was later found near the area where her body was recovered.

The incident has created fear among families, with many people expressing concern over the growing threat to children's safety.

SIT Formed to Probe the Case

To ensure a thorough investigation, police have constituted a Special Investigation Team (SIT). Officials said the team is examining all possible circumstances surrounding the crime.

Police have assured the public that the investigation will be carried out in a fair, transparent, and professional manner.

Authorities have also appealed to people not to circulate rumours or unverified information on social media, saying such speculation could hamper the investigation and create unnecessary panic.

Mehbooba Mufti Calls Incident Disturbing

People's Democratic Party (PDP) chief and former Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti strongly condemned the incident.

In a post shared on X, she said she was devastated to hear about the "cold-blooded murder" of the young girl. She added that the allegations of rape made the incident even more shocking and disturbing.

Mufti also questioned whether children are truly safe in society today and expressed concern over the increasing fear among families.

Sakeena Itoo Visits Grieving Family

Jammu and Kashmir Social Welfare Minister Sakeena Itoo visited the bereaved family in Budgam to express condolences and solidarity.

While interacting with the family members, the minister assured them that the government stands firmly with them during this painful time.

Notifications
Settings
Clear Notifications
Notifications
Use the toggle to switch on notifications
  • Block for 8 hours
  • Block for 12 hours
  • Block for 24 hours
  • Don't block
Gender
Select your Gender
  • Male
  • Female
  • Others
Age
Select your Age Range
  • Under 18
  • 18 to 25
  • 26 to 35
  • 36 to 45
  • 45 to 55
  • 55+