Name changed? How to get it updated in all important documents
The Capital market regulator SEBI (Securities and Exchange Board of India) relaxed the procedures to notify the name change on securities held in physical form. According to the markets regulator, the move would help in simplifying the "procedure of change of name in individual Beneficial Owner's (BO) account". The depository participants (DPs) shall collect the self-attested copies of above documents and maintain the same in their records after verifying with the original document, the SEBI circular said.
In case there is a change of name after marriage, Whatever the reason, it is recommended to update the new name on all the important documents such as PAN, Aadhaar, voter id, passport, shares and securities, insurance, etc.
Change the name of Physical Share Certificates:
- Request Letter mentioning the reason for the name change.
- Attested copies of Marriage Certificate or Gazzate Notification.
- Self Attested copy PAN Card duly notarized.
- Self Attested copy Address Proof duly notarized. (E.g. Aadhar/Voter id/Driving Licence/Bank Statement etc.)
- Original Share Certificate.
How to obtain Gazette notification:
- Prepare an affidavit on Rs 50 stamp paper and get it notarised by local notary public of state mentioning the reason behind the name change.
- Publish an ad for change in name in two newspapers, one English, and one vernacular language.
- Visit Department of Publication of your state with self attested copy of PAN card, address proof, and two passport-sized photos.
- The department will print the change of your name in the Gazette. The amount charged for Gazette notifications varies state to state. (Approximately Rs 1000)
Name change procedure on physical share certificates: The company/RTA may raise any queries or demand any other documents as per their policies.