What is the scheme all about?
- The scheme will be launched on October 11, the birth anniversary of social reformer Jay Prakash Narayan.
- The scheme was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on August 15.
- According to the scheme, each MP will adopt a village every year for all-round development.
- The MPs will work for the development of these select villages using the programmes of the Centre and States and their constituency development funds ( MPLADS).
- The Yojana has been drafted by Rural Development Ministry.
Salient features of Scheme
- This scheme is aimed at ensuring an all-round development of identified Gram Panchayats under the close scrutiny of MPs.
- The aim is to substantially improve the quality of life of all sections of the population in these select constituencies.
- The MPs will also be asked to utilise their existing MPLAD scheme grants towards the scheme.
- It aims at turning villages into model villages not just through infrastructure development but gender equality, dignity of women, social justice, community service, cleanliness etc.
SAGY demands MPs participation
- Each MP should make one village and turn it into a model village by 2016, two more villages by 2019.
- After 2019, each MP must develop 5 model villages during their tenure in their constituencies till 2024.
- MPs belonging to urban areas would have to adopt villages from nearby rural constituencies.
- Planning process in every Gram Panchayat will be a participatory exercise coordinated by the District Collector.
- The Gram Panchayat would also participate in the process.
Punsari Gram in Gujarat a trend setter
- The Rural Development Ministry officials are studying the development of Punsari village in Sabarkantha district, Gujarat.
- The Punsari Gram Panchayat has been received awards for bringing in rural transformation.
How it is different from UPA's scheme?
- UPA's Pradhan Mantri Adarsh Gram Yojana was focused on villages which had SC communities as more than half the population.
- Such is no case with Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana.
- Also, SAGY includes participatory role for MPs.