Uttar Pradesh will go to Assembly elections early in 2017. The state has an Assembly comprising 403 seats and a party/alliance has to win 202 seats to form the government.
In 2012, when the last state election was held in UP, the Samajwadi Party had won 224 seats to get a decisive majority.
We, at Oneindia, will take one Assembly constituency a day and have a look at electoral information related to it:
Constituency Name: Rampur Maniharan (Scheduled Caste)
[Comprises KCs 3-Nagal, 5-Rampur & Rampur Maniharan NP of 4- Deoband Tehsil; PCs 4-Landhora Gujjar, 5-Kankar Kooi, 6- Sabdalpur Shivdaspur, 7-Chhid Bana, 9-Kapasa, 10-Lakhnaur, 11-Dabki Junnardar, 12-Hasanpur Bhalaswa, 13-Nalheda Gujjar, 14-Sahajwa, 15-Beetiya, 16-Malhipur, 17-Chunehti Gada, 19-Mubarakhpur & 21-Sheikhpura Kadeem of 1-Saharanpur KC of 2-Saharanpur -Tehsil]
- Constituency No. 6
- District: Saharanpur (Rampur Maniharan is an Assembly segment under Saharanpur Lok Sabha constituency)
- Area of district: 3,689 square kilometres (rural 3,582 sq km)
- District population: 34,66,382 (78% general caste; 22% SC; 0% ST)
- District literacy: 60%
- District urbanisation: 30%
2012 Assembly election result in Rampur Maniharan
- Winner: Ravinder Kumar Molhu (BSP)
- Votes received: 77,274
- Vote percentage: 39.53
- Nearest rival: Vinod Kumar Tejyan (Congress)
- Votes: 50,668
- Percentage: 25.92
- Difference: 26,606
- Margin %: 13.61
- Total voters: 2,66,686
- Turnout: 73.32%
- Party which has won Saharanpur Nagar most number of times: This constituency came into existence in 2008 following delimitation (BSP has won it once)
2014 Lok Sabha result in Saharanpur
Raghav Lakhanpal (BJP) defeated Imran Masood (Congress) by 65,090 votes (margin% - 5.45)
About Saharanpur district: Saharanpur is famous for exporting handicraft and woodcraft of which moorhas come from Behat. However, because of the middleman problem, the local craftsmen do not gain much.
Issues: Lack of development in infrastructure, lack of higher education centres Shortage of facilities for traders of fruits and furniture business. Electricity shortage is also a major problem in Saharanpur. Communal clashes have also been a problem in this district.