How to change address in voter ID card
A voter ID card serves as an official document for identity and address proof. As a voter ID card holder, you can use your card to register and vote in elections and also as an identity document when required.
Because of these reasons, it is important to ensure all information mentioned in the ID card is updated and correct. If you have moved residence, for example, you should update your voter ID card so it reflects your current address. Your name has to be added to the electoral roll in the constituency where you now reside, and it has to be removed from the roll in the constituency where you lived previously.
So, the Election Commission of India (ECI) has made the process of updating your address in your voter ID card a very simple process.
Changing your residential address on your voter ID card can easily be done by submitting an application form along with the proof of your present address to the Election Officer of your particular constituency.
Steps to change your address in voter ID card online:
- Log on to the official website available for voters the National Voters Services Portal by clicking on http://www.nvsp.in
- Select the "Apply online for registration of new voter/due to shifting from AC" option.
- Choose Form 8A from the available options provided, after which an online form will appear in a new tab.
- Fill in the details as required, including your name and address, state, constituency and also your new address.
- Upload a document that mentions your current address (such as Aadhaar card, bank pass book or any official document)
- Once you have filled and uploaded the documents, submit the form online.
- You will receive a reference number, which can be used by you to track your application online.
- After you have submitted your application, it will be verified by the electoral officers.
- Once this verification is done, his name is added to the new constituency and he is provided a Voter ID card with the new address.
- Take two PP size photos
- Take the photo copy of proof of present address i.e. a. Gas book/card. b. Telephone bill, c. Electricity bill, d. Rental deed, e. Affidavit etc..
- Contact BLO/AERO/ERO of the residential area. These people usually sit in District. Secretariat / Election offices. The name and address and phone numbers of these can also be found from the website.
- Complete form no.a.8A (Inclusion of name in electoral rolls) b.001A.
- If the individual holds Voter card (EPIC- Elector's Photo Id Card) , a photocopy of that has to be taken.
- Do not forget to carry originals for verification purposes. and obtain a receipt of the application.
As per election commission's instructions, one does not have to get his name deleted from the earlier assembly constituency by themselves; this part is to be done by the officials. After the entire process, he voter card will be given to the individual in a few days.