Terrorist arrest: Omar rushes to Delhi to meet Shinde

Posted By:
Subscribe to Oneindia News

New Delhi, March 23: After Afzal Guru experience, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister does not seem to trust the central government. To push for the release of Syed Liyaqat Ali Shah, Omar air dashed to Delhi this afternoon. He will take up arrest of Liyakat arrest by Delhi Police with Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde.

Earlier in the morning, due to intense pressure from the legislators in the Valley, the Omar Abdullah government sought details about the arrest of Liyaqat Shah, whom Delhi Police claim was a Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist.

Delhi Police claimed that Liyaqat Shah had come to the union capital to avenge the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.

''An officer of the rank of Superintendent of Police in Jammu & Kashmir Police cell in Delhi has been deputed to find out from Delhi Police as to how they were claiming that he had planned to carry out fidayeen attacks in the Capital,'' said Minister of State for Home, Sajjad Ahmed Kitchloo.

Omar Abdullah

''We don't have any details about his arrest and whenever we get them, we will share with the House,'' said Kitchloo in the State Legislative Assembly in Jammu.

The Delhi Police (Special Cell) claimed to have arrested Liyaqat when he entered the city. He had entered India from Nepal and was carrying a Pakistani passport.

However, the Kashmir police said they had no record of his involvement in any militant activity except that he was associated with Hizb-ul-Mujahideen and Al Barq and he had crossed over to Pakistan occupied Kashmir in 1996. After some time, he returned to the Valley, but went back again in 2007.

Meanwhile, his second wife spoke to the media on Saturday on reaching her husband's ancestral home in Kashmir valley.

Akhtar-ul-Nisa, 47, Liaquat's second wife, whom he married in Pakistan, has reached her husband's ancestral home in Dardpora village, in north Kashmir's Kupwara district, 105 kilometres from Srinagar. Akhtar-ul-Nisa said she had landed in Nepal from Pakistan with her husband and daughter; the family had Pakistani passports.

"Liaquat came to surrender before the authorities in Jammu and Kashmir after the application of his family for his rehabilitation under the state government's policy was approved by authorities," she said.

"We were arrested near the Nepal-India border and told to show our identity cards. We told the police we had no identity cards, but carried Pakistani passports. They did not listen to us and arrested Liaquat, even after we clearly told them that authorities had approved Liaquat's return under the rehabilitation policy."

She also said since Liaquat had not even reached Delhi when he was arrested, there was no question of any arms being recovered from his hotel room in Delhi, as was reported in some sections of the media.

Ameena Begum, Liaquat's first wife, also lives in Dardpora along with her two sons, 21-year-old Shabir and 15-year-old Saddam.

Jammu and Kashmir has been offering, for about two years, the opportunity to former militants to surrender and gain rehabilitation in society.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...