After rape attempt trauma teen undergoes two surgeries

Posted By: Staff
Subscribe to Oneindia News
 Delhi Teenager
New Delhi, Feb 8: A 19-year-old woman, who was critically injured after a man inserted an iron rod into her mouth during a rape attempt in south Delhi, has undergone two surgeries in her throat and is not able to speak, police said on Friday.

"The doctors have performed two surgeries on her throat, but still she can't speak. Otherwise her condition is better now," a senior police official told IANS.

"The women has been admitted to AIIMS. She is likely to be discharged in the next two days," the official said.

However, doctors at the All-India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) here refused to speak about the victim's condition.

Anil Kumar, 26, a cable operator tried to rape the woman finding her alone at her house in south Delhi's Lajpat Nagar around 8.30 p.m. Monday.

"Kumar went to the woman's home to collect the monthly rent for the cable TV. Finding the woman alone, he tried to rape her. He inserted an iron rod inside her mouth when she cried for help," said a police officer.

Hearing the woman's cries, some neighbours came to help her but Kumar managed to flee from the spot. He was later arrested.

The incident comes less than two months after the horrific rape of a 23-year-old trainee physiotherapist on a moving bus in the capital.

Jalandhar victim critical

Meanwhile, the condition of a 14-year-old Jalandhar gangrape victim, whose ruptured uterus was removed and intestines repaired, continued to remain critical.

"Girl's uterus had ruptured that caused severe infection. A panel of surgeons, gynaecologists and anaesthetists decided to remove the uterus amid septicemia (infection)", said Tejbir Singh, medical superintendent of Guru Nanak Dev Hospital in Amritsar.

The team of doctors also had to perform surgery on her intestines that had been damaged, he said.

The surgery was carried out last evening after the girl was brought here from Jalandhar following which she was shifted to the ICU unit, a hospital official said.

She would be observed closely for the next 72 hours since her condition remained critical even after the surgery, doctors attending on her said.

"The girl had suffered extensive blood loss and her haemoglobin count was mere 3 (against the normal range of 11.5-16). Sufficient blood units were infused to her but her condition would yet take time to respond medical treatment", Singh said.

The incident occurred on January 28 when three persons from the same village abducted and raped her while she was out of her home to relieve herself, they said.

The girl was abducted and raped brutally by three persons from the same village at her native village in Mandhala Channa village in Jalandhar on January 28 while she was out of her home to relieve herself, according to police.

The girl's father had told police that he filed a complaint ten days after the incident as his daughter told him about the alleged rape only now.


Please Wait while comments are loading...