Aarushi murder case: Talwars benefitted over new changes

Posted By:
Subscribe to Oneindia News
Rajesh and Nupur Talwar
Noida, Nov 2: The doctor couple Rajesh and Nupur Talwar have been benefitted after a court accepted their proposal of holding Aarushi-Hemraj double murder trial twice a week instead of holding the same on a daily basis.

Tanveer Ahmed Mir, counsel of the Talwars, earlier had appealed to the court saying, "My clients are getting economically strangulated because of coming to court every day for hearings."

The prosecution agency Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) too did not oppose the request. Hence, the court granted their plea saying the trial will be held only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Next hearing will be held on Nov 6.

The CBI had filed a chargesheet against Nupur and her dentist husband Rajesh Talwar for destroying crucial evidence and misleading the investigators soon after the couple's teenaged daughter Aarushi was found dead at their Noida flat on the morning of May 16, 2008.

Nupur and Rajesh claimed that their domestic help Hemraj had killed Aarushi, but his body was discovered on the terrace of the same building a day later.

A CBI court therefore charged the couple under sections 302/304 and 201. Rajesh Talwar was also charged under another section 203. He, however, secured bail in the case on Jul 11, 2008.

Incidentally, the first police officer who had visited Talwars' residence after receiving the news of Aarushi's death was mowed down by a truck recently. CBI told the court today that Jagbir Singh Malik succumbed to his injuries in the accident on Sept 22, 2012.

After completing their investigations, the Noida police had declared Nupur and Rajesh guilty. But when the case was handed over to the CBI, the couple were initially exonerated.

The agency even filed a closure report in the case on Dec 29, 2010. A Ghaziabad court nevertheless made Aarushi's parents the main accused in her murder case.

The Talwars then tried to have the trial shifted from the special CBI court in Ghaziabad to Delhi. The Supreme Court rejected this plea on Mar 2, 2012.

Nupur Talwar surrendered in the Ghaziabad court on Apr 23. Seven days later, she was sent to judicial custody. Nupur currently has been released from jail as she was granted bail.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...